Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley. This quote by Theodore Roethke resounds for Julie both literally as a keen tramper, and figuratively for career development. On our lifelong journey through career, work and learning it can sometimes be hard to see the path out of a low point, but through striving a path can be created.
Julie believes every person should have access to the support to navigate on this journey and to find meaningful work (paid and unpaid). She is passionate about the benefits of career development services having worked in the careers field for nearly three decades – as a career practitioner, national trainer, business development manager, programme manager, and corporate services senior leader.
Julie is an active Life Member of the Career Development Association of NZ, and advocates on gender equality and equity issues through the National Council of Women NZ as a member of the Parliamentary Watch Committee.
Julie is also an EAP Career Counsellor with Benestar.
- Career coaching and counselling
- Professional supervision
- Mentoring to grow leadership capability
- Development and roll-out of services and resources
- Programme and project governance, management and delivery
- Improving organisational career management policies and procedures
- Development of professional standards and competencies
- Facilitating workshops and meetings
- Writing and reviewing business reports and technical papers
- Lead writer, NZ Country Paper, ICCDPP 2015 Symposium, USA; Contributing writer, NZ Country Paper, ICCDPP 2017 Symposium, South Korea
- Author, Career Development of Individuals Within Organisations – A Study of Middle Managers in Two NZ Crown Entities. MBA Dissertation, Henley Management College, 2002.
- Co-Sponsor, Whānau Decision-Making Case Study Effectiveness for Māori Measurement and Reporting Framework: A Case Study, Te Puni Kokiri, 2014.
- Sponsor, Career Development Benchmarks – Secondary, see https://www.careers.govt.nz/resources/planning/career-development-benchmarks/secondary
- Project Director for Career Guidance and Education in NZ Schools, Ministry of Education, 2003.
Qualifications and Awards
- Master of Business Administration, Henley Business School
- Professional Supervision and Workplace Coaching, Level 7
- Postgraduate Diploma in Guidance & Counselling
- Bachelor of Social Science
- Life Member Career Development Association of NZ (honorarium)